Saturday 13 December 2008

Compositing


Color changing animation in After effect for the wheel



The shadow can not be rendered because the grass is not in the same layer with the music machine.

Compositing! As this is the last week of this project, I have been working in the college most of the time from 10am-8pm. It feels good when I see the work getting closer to the end. BUT, even more stressful when it comes to teamwork. I have waited for Leonard's promise until the last day, then I had to redo his airchair modeling (took me 5min) and do the texturing myself. The worst thing is, when sombody is so far behind at this point, he now finally want to catch up and start to ask me to give him 'things' to do. Like in the final stage everything is rendering in renderfarm, (btw, I spend 2 days on Render farm with Alex to finally get it working prefectly), he came to me and ask for a copy of the 'renderfarm'. I tried to explain to him what render farm is and the reason why I can not 'share' my job with him at this stage, but he kept saying 'yeahbut....'. Then later on since he hasn't got anything to do, he just kept giving me his 'suggestions'. I listened with patience, and tried harder and harder to be more patient. Then finally, everything is finished without a major break down of teamwork.

I'm sorry if my word offenced anybody, but it is true at the end there is a real tension in the team that I don't want to see. This is due to two main reasons.
1. the pressure from the work itself, espeically when it come closer to the deadline. Everyone get stress, it is important to learn how to fight or live with it.
2. the lack of understanding of teamworking: what if people know exactlly what their job is during the whole production pipeline... it would help the workflow, make the communication less argument and.. most importantly, gain an understanding of the work from the group's point of view instead of just their own.
And again...I meant no offence at all!

Back to the work...so compositing went pretty smoothly except from the grass problem still exsit. To add shading on the background, the easiest way to fix it i think is to rerender all the machine as in one scene. Because we are running out of time, we decided just to leave it and keep it dark.

It is worth mention the size of all the clips inported into after effect is around 10 GB. It made after effect run slow hence slowed down the compositing process big time. Must say if I knew this, I would have changed the layer design, reduce the size...maybe decided to render everything as a whole.

The background music is added. Credit goes to Paul, he found a lovely HUGE collection of sound track from LRC. I also suggested to use 'Canon D' for the music machine, it would create a sence of 'Legendary' and quite feeling the same time, suitable for our empty midnight funfair. I composed those two with the video in Premiere and also added the title and the end credit.

No comments: